Friday, April 15, 2011

Reflections on Learning!

One of the best modules I have ever taken is ES2007S since my two years studying in NUS. From this module, I have really grown alot and become more confident! I am also very happy to know and make friends with most of the classmates in group 4. What I have truly gained in this module is the life skills, writing skills and presentation skills.


The life skills that ES2007s introduced, served as a reminder to me of how to deal with difficult people and to control my emotions. This module has provided an opportunity to test whether I can effectively apply the lifeskills to good use. I have learnt how to understand people with different personalities and try to empathsise with them. Moreover, I have learnt to be a good listener to find out what problems my group members faced when doing the project. From there, I will try to provide advice and see if I can help them on my part. My group members also listen to my problems and we help each other whenever we can. We get to know each other better as we shared our own personal experience together. From there, I have gained insights of how to deal with problems with different sets of methods.


One of the challenges faced by me is getting the international schools' interviews. Having no connections with anyone from the foreign schools make it even harder for my group to get an interview response as compared to the local schools. Furthermore, this is my first time contacting several private organisations to request for an interview. This was the time where I really have to make use of the interview skills which I have gone through during the peer teaching to good use. As I am not very good at English, I have to read through the emails several times before clicking the send button. Nonetheless, this has led me to be more careful whenever I send emails to anyone. Moreover, I learnt to be more confident of myself when I spoke to the management staff of the international schools, making sure that I do not stumble when explaining myself and convince them to accept the interview. All these are really invaluable experience that I have gained throughout this course. There were also times that I felt frustrated as the intended interviewees did not respond to my emails or phonecalls. But surprisingly, my group have secured two schools' interviews on the same day after spamming many emails. That really makes my day and make me realised that as long there is a will, there sure to be a way out!


I think my group has succeeded in presenting our project is because all of us are open-minded and willing to listen to everyone's ideas and opinions. It is impossible to have a perfect group where everyone is perfect. What we can do is to work with whatever resources we have and gather everyone's strengths together, making the imperfections into perfections. I will say that I am very lucky to have cooperative and responsible team members (Yu Tian, Paula and Isaac) in my group. I really enjoyed working with them.


I hope that even after ES2007S, I will continue to apply what I have learnt to good use. I know it is inevitable that I may meet monsters in the future. But I will remind myself of EQ! No matter what kind of monsters I meet, I can still deal with them and not let them affect me in anyway. At the same time, I do not believe that I will be so unlucky to meet monsters all the time, I am sure to meet some good people. With communication skills I have learnt, I hope to establish good relationship with everyone.


12 weeks have come to an end really fast, just like a flash... But I am sure that I will miss the class discussions I have together with my classmates and Brad's funny stories. Here, I want to wish everyone all the best in their exams and future endeavours! By the way, after the end of ES2007S, I still do not know how to add the blogging list. Can anyone teach me how to add the blogging list to my blog? I always have to go to jac's or benjamin's blog to view other classmates blog. Thank you.

17 comments:

  1. Hello Adeline!

    I'm really sad this module has ended because I will really miss you :( This 12 weeks could have been worse if not for you being there for me,listening to me talk and giving me sound advice. Thank you for being such a great friend and hope to see you more around in school :)

    P.S: I'll teach you how to add the blog links when I see you the next time haha! It's really easy don't worry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Adeline! First off, to add blog list, just log on to blogger.com and go to design, under that you can add/edit gadget. One of the gadgets tree shd be called 'my blog list' :).

    Anyway, I really really enjoyed having you in this class! You're always a joy sharing with me all those funny happenings! :) and yes this module really helped us overcome many challenges and brought us to newer heights in EQ and IQ:) I can tell that you worked rather well with your group members and also managed to apply whatever we've learnt on class to the group project. It's really cool to see the product of all our hard work! :)) thanks Adeline and I know you're achieve even more in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Paula!
    Hey jac... I think I need to go for computer and comprehension class now. I can't get the blogging list done even I followed your instructions. omg. I think next time when we are free, then you or paula help me upload the blogging list. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Adeline,

    I am really glad to have known you. I can still remember the times where I got to talk to you after class about the problems we both face. In fact, we both have a lot in common such as EQ management and facing monsters in our lives (: You are a really sincere and fun-loving person. I am also really impressed by how much you have grown as a professional communicator ever since I had known you. Let’s keep in touch even after this module is over. I would like to wish you all the best for your final exams and future endeavors.

    Will miss you!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey Adeline,

    Time flies. It has been great knowing someone as cheerful as you :).Thanks for appreciating my jokes,it has been nice working with you for mock interview.
    Lastly, don't kill me~ haaha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adeline,

    Good luck for you final exam! And all the best for your future endeavor :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Michael, did you just copy and paste??

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Adeline,

    Your right, the past 12 weeks have felt more like 5. It's been great knowing you and working with you on the mock interviews. ES2007S really is one of the best modules here.
    Good luck for your exams and for everything after. Hope to see you around sometime :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Adeline, for this detailed post reflecting on the course. I also appreciate your accolades regarding the impression that ES2007S has left with you. In my opinion, that impression was created because you came into class with a very open mind and a willingness to tackle all the tasks laid before you.

    I have been impressed by your hard work and good cheer, Adeline. From your performance in the final OP, it was clear that you had really made a sincere effort at overcoming your fear of talking in front of the group, and that you had internalized many of the values that we had been discussing.

    I appreciate that effort and all your contributions to the class.

    Best of luck in your future!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree! It's one of the best modules ever! :)

    It's great to see how much you've learnt and grown throughout! I can really see that you've really learnt the importance of teamwork from here, this will be very useful for you in future!

    By the way, top right hand corner of the page, you should see "Design". Click on it and then click on "Add a Gadget". I guess you should be able to figure out how to add links from there!

    All the best in your future endeavours!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My goodness… it’s the end already. So fast? Haha, I really enjoy the working dynamics that we shared and I will definitely miss you as a teammate and also even more as a friend.

    Despite that I am the coordinator of the team; I would not have performed as well without your support all these while. As the team secretary, you have help us covered lots of blind spots and your capacity as the secretary is so outstanding that I would employ you as my secretary if I ever have a company of my own.

    As a friend, I also thank you for pointing out my flaws. I know I have drive and almost unlimited energy but in very stressful times, I can be like a tank that tries to bulldoze my way through a mine field. LoL, very military again right? I am glad that you reminded me to step on my ‘brakes’ in time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Adeline!!!

    I really like your outstanding frankness! It's so funny and amusing sometimes, and yet that also makes you a very easy to understand person.

    Evidently you've learnt a lot from this module too!! I believe that the skills we've learnt in this module would go a long way in helping us communicate effectively and professionally in the future.

    It has been a great blessing for me to be working with you, paula and jac for the peer teaching. Hopefully we can have the chance to meet up again just to chill, relax and chit chat!!

    All the best for your exams Addy!! =D

    ReplyDelete
  14. @ Eunice: It is great to know you! I will like to learn more from you and know more about you. :) I know that you have to handle your FYP and the es2007s project at the same time, it is inevitable to feel stress and tired. But you still managed to overcome all these. Do not give up! I see this perservance in you throughout this course. There will always be challenges along the way in our lives. Most important is to face them with an open mind.

    Keep in touch!

    @ Michael: Really a coincidence to meet you, my JC senior! Though I did not know you during the 2 years in JC, I am still glad that we get along well in 13 weeks!

    @Uttara: Thanks! I will always remember the fun we have together during the mock interview session.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Brad! Thank you so much! You have been a great mentor and this motivates me towards learning. I really appreciated your feedback where I know my strengths and weakness. I am not very clear with what are my strengths and weaknesses. Before this course, I have the idea that I am an just an average person and have little self-confidence. Now I have a clearer understanding of myself and become a more confident person.

    I like your style of teaching where your lessons are never boring. This is the only module where I never felt sleepy before. Thanks so much, Brad. :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. @ Mabel: Thanks for your comments! Keep in touch!

    @ Yu tian: Please hire me if I am umemployed.
    haha... Hopefully I can get a job when I graduate.

    please let me know about my flaws too. I know I am pretty straightforward sometimes and may be insensitive to others' feelings. I am glad that you are a open-minded and understanding person; one who is also willing to listen and learn.

    @ Ben: Hello!! I find you a sincere and fun person. Keep in touch! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. EH??!?! I NEVER POST ON YOURS??

    haha! anyway, thanks for being such a fun character around in class! i know, it's been tough for you (haha), but I'm sure through this experience, your stomach to persevere and tolerate people has grown much much stronger! Also, I see that your capacity to do work in a less than ideal environment has improved greatly! =)

    Well, in the flash of an eye, the semester is over. It'll have been nice if we all had another sem together. So, tell you what: Let's take ES2007 again next sem! Good? hahaha!

    Study hard for your exams! jia you!!

    ReplyDelete