Friday, January 21, 2011

Professional Communication: Effective Communication

Edited!

Why is effective communication important to me? It is because communication is part of my life! I am a person who enjoys sharing my thoughts and experiences with people and widening my social circle! In short, I am a friendly and talkative person. Hence, effective communication enables others to understand me without them misunderstanding me.

I find that it is important to let others understand well what I want to bring across to them. It may be an awkward scenario when others misinterpret my intentions. Not only that, miscommunication among people often brings about unpleasant feelings with each other and misunderstandings. Moreover, people are less willing to listen to what I want to say to them if I were to speak poorly.

For now, effective communication is important as I have to constantly work with people for projects and laboratory experiments. I need to convey my ideas and messages to my working partners so that we can work together effectively in getting our work done. Besides, effective communication is a powerful tool for me to convince people! Different people have different working styles and personalities. In the past, I have gained experiences from working with different people. I understand that effective communication is important in convincing others to work together and resolving their differences and conflicts.

Of course, I did encounter some experiences (pleasant and unpleasant ones) for poor communication. I shall relate a comical incident that happened due to miscommunication. It happened when I was in year 1 when I met a friend who asked me which elective modules I took. I replied to him that I took crime fiction and the first chapter studied was about Sherlock Holmes. My friend asked if Sherlock Holmes was 福尔摩斯 (chinese name for Sherlock Holmes). I kept insisting that Sherlock Holmes was not 福尔摩斯 because I found that the names sounded totally different. Instead I asked him who was 福尔摩斯? Is he a chinese crime detective? However, my other friend who had just come into the lecture threatre told me that both names were referring to the same character. ... Awkward, isn't it? Hence, I should have asked him to describe the characteristics of Sherlock Holmes before jumping into conclusions that the both of them were different characters.

In the future, effective communication will be as important to me as it is today! Though I may be afraid to speak to those whom I do not know well, I am still working hard to overcome this fear. I hope that with effective communication, I am able to interact well with others, whether it is for social or working purposes.

7 comments:

  1. Haha Adeline! That was a really interesting read! No doubt communication is also one way for us to gain extra knowledge and insight! And yes! Communicating effectively helps to break many barriers! The first of all would be definitely to showcase yourself to others that you're an easygoing and approachable person! This will help in building strong and lasting relationships in the future! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi jac

    "The first of all would be definitely to showcase yourself to others that you're an easygoing and approachable person! "

    Could it be that effective communication of PC is to showcase yourself to others that you SEEM to be easygoing and approachable? Since not everybody can say they are naturally easy-going or approachable, or at least easy-going and approachable to different degrees? Because if we go strictly by your original statement, the aim of PC is then corrupt!!! You are really saying you want to HOODWINK your partner which has rather turned into a target---not the most likely state to be trying to build terms with, or don't you think it so?

    Of course I am not saying you wouldnt have been easy-going and approachable before the point of contact with the other, I am just saying your statement says that you will EXAGGERATE the DEGREE of your approachability and easy-goingness to your partner come such time when the initial stages of interaction are passed away, you will HAVE TROUBLE TRYING TO HOLD THAT LEVEL OF EXAGGERATED APPROACHABILITY AND EASY-GOINGNESS simply because you are NOT YOURSELF,or dont you think it so?

    So Jac I would rather you said that PC is about showing your true exact level of approachability and easy-goingness and be able to get the other party to accept that with no qualms and grievances, afterwhich later if you wanted to increase your level of approachability and easy-goingness, you would be under so pressure to perform because you have conditioned the other party to accept lesser than what he will receive from you in future!!! Voila Jac! That is one successful and effective PC, or dont you think so?

    Voila

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, can i ask if we can classify miscommunication and poor communication to be the same?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Adeline, for the post. You clearly and concisely explain why these skills are important to you, and you use concrete details to support your opinion. In fact, it seems you emphasize how effective comm skills are especially important in two areas: 1) in helping us avoid miscommunication, and 2) in helping build relationships.

    This statement explains why the skills are required for us to avoid miscommunication: "It may be an awkward scenario when others misinterpret my intentions."

    This statement shows how these skills are vital for relationships: "I understand that effective communication is important in convincing others to work together and resolving their differences and conflicts."

    All in all, you cover quite a few important points. My main question is this: how have you determined which skills are most required? (I'm just curious.)

    Thanks for this good first post!

    There are a few language problems. See these:

    a) a person who enjoy >>> a person who enjoyS

    b) miscommunication among people often bring >>> ?

    c) I did encountered >>> ?

    d) I replied him >>> I replied TO him

    e) because I find >>> because I found

    f) who has just come into >>> who haD just come into

    g) While my other friend who has just come into the lecture threatre told me that both names were referring to the same character... >>>
    this is a fragment because it is not complete. It should be:

    However, my other friend who has just come into the lecture threatre told me that both names were referring to the same character.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Brad is not only a professional communicator, he is a powerful one as well. I honestly didn't see so many mistakes in the post. I must have been out of my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm officially stunned by Mark's reply. I did NOT mean it as the way you interpreted it. I merely thought that communication does help show what kind of person you may be. For example, the more you like to open up to others, the easier it is for others to want to talk to you. You're definitely thinking too far into what I actually meant. Okay I admit that I may not know how to phrase my sentences well enough for you to understand without misunderstanding, but that's why i'm taking this module now. So please forgive me if I really caused any misunderstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete