Friday, February 4, 2011

Interpersonal Conflicts!

Edited!

Going through 21 years of my life, I have experienced many emotional ups and downs situations that make me feel that encoutering interpersonal conflict with people is often a suffocating and tedious process. This is because I could not directly voice out my grievances or just let go of my anger.

When I was younger, I always thought that being straightforward was equivalent to being truthful. I often speak without going through the thinking process as I feel that I should speak my mind freely. When I was in secondary school, my friend had a crush whom she fancied alot. She asked for my opinion about that guy. Straightaway without much thought, I said she has bad taste. For these two words, bad taste, our friendship was terminated as quickly as the speed of my response. This was quite a painful lesson learnt as I began to lose my friends gradually as that friend began to influence the rest to "anti-Adeline". When I tried to speak to them, they would ignore me and moved away. They would whispher ear to ear whenever I was nearby so that I would not be involved in their conversation in any way. The feeling was hurtful as I did not think that the recupersions would be so serious. Even though I have apologised to that friend for being inconsiderate to her feelings, she continued to bad-mouth me in front of the others. Till today, I still have not reconcile with her. However, I have learnt to speak tactfully and consider others' feelings since then.

Sometimes, the impact of a conflict would be so great that it can make me so upset that I would lose my focus. My thoughts were disrupted abruptly by that particular conflict and I would reflect countless times of how it began. Sometimes, I would even fall down and injure myself without feeling the physical pain. As I grew up, I came to understand that losing one's cool would only aggrevate the interpersonal conflict and make communication even more difficult. I have faced several unpleasant interpersonal conflicts, both at work and at school. There are many causes to those conflicts, mainly misunderstanding and people having preperceptions of me. I shall describe a constant conflict that has been going on between me and my father. My father has dibetes mellitus type II and recently had to undergo a toe amputation. He is very stubborn and refused to heed the doctor's advice to control his diet. On a fateful day, 29 November 2010, my dad fell down and injured his toe. However, he refused to heed advice and beliving he was able to heal himself. His leg was swollen and he was running a fever. Yet, he could use a needle to poke his swollen leg so as to reduce the swelling. I could not stand him hurting himself unknowingly and wanted him to go to hospital. My advice went deaf ears to him. He delayed treatment till the middle of the night that the pain was so excuriating that he finally decided to go to hospital. However, it was not the end of the problem. It was the time to choose the ward type he should stay in. He was so insistent in staying in a higher class ward such as B1 as he felt that lower class wards were for lower class people. But for my stand, I felt that he should be admitted to a cheaper ward so that he would be able to afford the medical expenses incurred. He was so unreasonable and shouted at me. Initially, I controlled myself and tried to convince him to accept my stand. But it did not work out and we ended up having an heated arguement over this issue at the hospital with many eyes on us. After that, I felt embarassed and hurt. To make me feel worse, he also blamed me for his plight that I did not put in much efforts in convincing him to go to hospital earlier. Even though he had his toe amputation, he continued with his old ways of living, eating chinese new year goodies (pineapple tarts, chocolates, seafood). Whenever I intervented to stop him, he would lose his temper at me and ask me to mind my own business, its his leg and health, not mine. But what really frustrates me is that, he does not appreciate my concern for him and he has been very temperamental to me. I realised that using the direct approach of convincing him is not effective at all. Hence, I have recently adopted reverse psychology hoping that it will make him change for the better.

13 comments:

  1. Dear Adeline,

    It’s okay! I know the stubbornness of a loved one is painful and unbearable, but I believe that it is possible to change that person slowly through the actions you’re doing. And you’re doing a good job so hang in there! I guess your father is probably just as afraid as you are for him. But he doesn’t want to show this fear in front of you and so is covering it up with nonchalance most of the time=(. It hurts you but I think what is most important now is just for him to get well. If you really feel that it is bad for him to eat all that sweet food, then I think it would be good to do the extreme and just not have any of it near him. He would get angry and shout but I think being silent and not retorting back would be good. It will probably show him that shouting would not get his way. I think it would be good to maybe get relatives to visit him more often and to make sure he’s preoccupied most of the time so he would not have time to think much about his cravings. I think the best thing to do now would just be to let him rant and talk to get rid of all the negative energy build-up in him.

    As for your friend, well, she probably just wants to carry that grudge with her because the more friends she gain, the more you lose, and that is just plain selfish but yes such people do exist. She probably has some other reasons for doing it but I think even if you dwell on it any longer, and if talking to her doesn’t work, it would be best to just put this aside and move on. She probably knows how much you are putting in to save this friendship, but if she doesn’t acknowledge it then there’s no point in hurting yourself further.

    Stay strong and have a good Chinese new year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jac. :) Yes, you are right. He is nonchalant about himself because his leg does not seem to be recovering. I have explained to him that he has diabetes so the rate of recovery will be slower than normal people. However, he just feel that since its already not recovering, he might as well just continue eating to satisfy his cravings. I have to constantly remind him that his eating habits was hindering his recovery. Sometimes he listens to advices, sometimes not. I have thought of getting the relatives to see him because he is very respectful of his uncles and aunties. Probably he will listen to them. I have hid the new year goodies. But he can still find them just like treasure hunt. :( I am working hard to change him!

    Thanks Jac again for being such a nice friend! My friend was probably deeply hurt as she trusted in me by confiding to me who she liked. However, at that time I was still immature and insensitive to her feelings. From my point of view, she deserved to be with a better guy. But I do not know how to translate to words properly and hurt her feelings. Later on, she broke up with that guy and began to speak to me again. However, we were not as close as before. I will move on if the relationship would not work out anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Control your emotions and don’t let your father’s words get to you. It won’t be easy but for your father’s sake, you have to persevere. Empathise with what your father is going through and try to talk to him in a caring tone. Perhaps his illness has caused him so much emotional and physical pain that he needs to find a way to release them. You are his daughter and he inadvertently releases his pain on you. Continue to hang in there and show him through your actions that you genuinely love and care for him. By understanding his position you can better assess the situation and approach it in the most appropriate way. You should also know your strengths and weaknesses and use it to your advantage in your conversations. Make a conscious effort to deal with things in the best way that suits your strength. Know your limitations as a daughter.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Eunice for your kind advice. :) I have tried to overcome certain hurtful stuffs my father said to me. But it just remains stagnant in my mind sometimes. However, when this happens, I will try to think of the happy times we have had together. Thanks for reminding me of my limitations as a daughter. I will try my best to tone down and keep cool whenever he throws his temper at me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sup, Adeline,

    That must be the most hurtful plight of any grown-up daughter I've ever heard, even hurt with. I had to drip tears of sorrow, consequently.

    The worst thing to know and to witness, is a man/woman who refuses help when help arrives. That is man's/woman's or the sin of human will, but that is also because man/woman knows that other men/women arent perfect, and that their help might just as be the same too. So you cannot blame your father Adeline, if your father thinks ill of you, your opinions and therefore your abilities, because that is what is happening right now as he rejects your pious love.

    Reverse psychology isn't the way to go though, Adeline. Telling your father that chocolates will hasten his death by telling him that chocolates will give him long life is completely problematic and sarcastic, even if he knows you are being sarcastic. Reverse psychology is a branch of psychology for abnormal people, or don't you know? Reverse psychology is diseased and a form of illness of the mind, and if people say they react well to reverse psychology they are really controlled by the devil himself!!!! You s hould be worried your father reacts positively to your reverse psychology.

    I rather you engage him interpersonally, and if you cant, or if he disregards you; I suggest you try other means. Show him instead a video of diabetic patients who were so stubborn they got all sorts of dark, ugly, grisly, wounds on their limps and body. If you cant get him to listen to you verbally, show him multimedia and even show him their death, if you can find such a video!!!! Death frightens a man/woman most!!!!

    That should get him started on the road to recovery and maybe heaven too!!!

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Adeline, I've read your entry and it really warmed me about how much you cared about your father even though he doesn't seem to take your advice about controlling his diet to keep his condition under control. I believe the older generation has this perception that we as juniors,wouldn't know the type of 'hardship' they went through and as such our advice would be deemed 'not helpful'. But I believe that you shouldn't give up on your father. Perhaps trying out other methods to coax him into watching his diet. For example,getting him to come to a compromise with you by eating CNY goodies for this week and next week he's on a soup/rice only diet may work.

    Anyway,I'm sorry to hear about what happened between you and your friend. I believe she was probably infatuated with the guy at that point of time and it allowed this emotion to rule her mind. She was probably hurt that you weren't 'on her side' in agreeing that the guy was a good catch. But the fact that you had apologised and yet she continued to gossip about you is really immature on her part. So don't let this incident get to you anymore Adeline. Friends come and go but family will always stay by you (:

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Adeline,

    I really appreciate you sharing these TWO scenarios with us. Either one of them would have been sufficient as an example of an interpersoanl conflict scenario per the requirement of the assignment. As it is, you have done double the work needed. That has also sent your post far above the requested word limit. Still, I am happy that you had a chance to share stories of situations that have obviously been bothering you. Thank you very much for your opneness.

    From both descriptions we readers can see that you are a caring and, in fact, very snesitive person. You have reflected deeply on your interactions with your friends abnd your dad. For each of these scenarios, again per the assignment, it would have been good if you could have formulated a question for your readers to answer so as to give you directed feedback. Still, you have received heart-felt feedback.

    As I read through your post, a recurring problem that I note is your use of verbs. Please see my comments on the sentences below, and make the changes that will add to the fluency of your post.

    a) I often speak without going through the thinking process as I felt I should speak my mind freely. >>> verb tense?

    b)The feeling was hurtful as I did not thought that... >>> verb form?

    c) Till today, I still had not reconcile with her. >>> verb form?

    d) Sometimes, the impact of a conflict would be so great that it can make me so upset that I would lose my focus. >>> verb tense?

    e) I would even fell down ... >>> verb form?

    f) As I grew up, I come to understand that losing one's cool will only aggrevate the interpersonal conflict and makes communication even more difficult. >>> verb tense?
    As I grew up, I CAME to understand that losing one's cool WOULD only aggrevate the interpersonal conflict and MAKE communication even more difficult.

    g) But it did not work out and we end up... >>> verb tense?

    Thank you for all your hard work---and best of luck working out your problem with your father.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Adeline, I'm really sorry about your father. Maybe all the problems he has just has not sunk in yet and he's still trying to hold on to his old life. Change would be hard on anyone especially for someone who has been used to something else for a longer time. But keep trying your best and I'm sure your father will listen to you, he is your father after all. Maybe you could talk to your other family members and see what they think and get them to help you out. Hopefully that will work.
    As for your friend, you have already apologized to her so if she still continues to bad mouth you she just isn't worth it. You are much better off without her.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mark: Thanks Mark for your kind reminder. I will try to convince my dad using your way of approach. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brad: Thanks for reminding me of my errors again. I will try to be careful of the grammar next time. hee..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Uttara, thanks for your kind advice. I am working hard to change my dad! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Adeline,

    As you know, I can relate to the frustrations you're going through. It seems that your father may be egoistic, because your advice often fell on deaf ears. If there is a chance that he listens more to your uncles/aunties, since you have mentioned that he is very respectful of them? I think it would be good to let them know of your plight. The only thing I'm wondering is, hasn't anyone tried to convince/advise him besides you? For example, your immediate family or other relatives?

    In any case, I wish you all the best with your father.
    Stay strong, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Mabel, thanks for your kind concern. Everyone in the family has been trying very hard to convince him. But he is very stubborn. He thinks very differently from the others. From his point of view, life is short and unpredictable, so he must live it to the fullest. Hence, his perception is that even if his health is deteriorating, he should still make himself happy by indulging in the food he likes. And the food he likes: chocolates, sweets, desserts, durians and seafood. So.. its really a HUGE challenge for all of us to change him. Plus he is temperamental and obstinate, others may just give up on him after advising him for a few times. I can understand why the others can give up on him because they are not very close to him. Even for me, sometimes I really want to ignore him completely because he can drive people against the wall unknowingly. But I just cannot turn blind eye when I see him walking towards destruction.

    ReplyDelete